Great Britain has been granted Part 2 Listed status for non-commercial pet travel as part of the Brexit negotiations. This means if you are travelling to the EU after the 31st of December 2020 then your pet will need to travel on an Animal Health Certificate, GB issued pet passports will become invalid past this time.

If you are planning to travel abroad with your pet, make an appointment with Garden Veterinary Group well in advance so that we can advise you on what precautions you need to take for your pet and issue your animal health certificate at the correct time.

Once the Animal Health Certificate (AHC) is issued by an official veterinarian, you have 10 days to enter the EU via a designated travellers’ point of entry and the certificates are valid for a single trip for entry into the EU. They are also valid for onward travel within the EU for 4 months after the date of issue, also re-entry into GB for 4 months after the date of issue.   

These will be dual language certificates, English and then one of the official languages of the first EU member state you are travelling to.  

As with existing guidelines your pet must be microchipped and vaccinated for Rabies from 12 weeks old. Then you have to wait 21 days post rabies vaccine before you can travel. The health requirements for re-entering GB will not change, that includes examination by a vet and tapeworm treatment.  

These new documents are quite complicated and time consuming, please leave plenty of time between booking your appointment and travelling, you may not be able to collect these certificates at the time of your appointment.  

When you come in for your appointment please bring in your current vaccination cards and any previous passports, as we need to make certified copies of these. All of these documents must accompany your pet when travelling.   

If you are travelling elsewhere apart from the EU, or not entering the EU through a travellers’ point of entry then please check the government website Pet travel to Europe from 1 January 2021 – GOV.UK ( for more updated information.